Wild Turkey DIamond Anniversary

Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary
obtained via bottle swap with Bobby Childs

Continuing my taste through some sample bottles, the result of a swap between me and Bobby Childs of Adventures in Whiskey. I remember seeing WT Diamond Anniversary in my local store, but I was scared off by the $100+ price point.

Color: medium brown, orange tint.

Smell: this smells like delicious, well-rounded, fruity bourbon. For me, it immediately calls to mind Four Roses limited edition bottles and private barrel selections. This isn't a "thumper" nose (e.g., Booker's) of sawdust and furniture polish; instead, it's got herb-tinged caramel sweetness upfront and subtle cinnamon, red fruit, and baking spice secondary notes. Impressive, yet restrained.

Taste: a slight let-down on the palate. The flavors from the nose are there, but they're very faint. There's some creamy sweetness upfront (caramel), and then slight barrel influence (cinnamon spice, mostly) comes through on the midpalate. After a brief taste of fruitiness (bubble gum?), it all drifts away in a slightly watery finish, leaving some oak char, vanilla, and cinnamon.

Overall: it's a borderline "B/B+" for me. I think the nose is incredible - right up there with the best "refined" bourbon aromas (vs. proof/oak-bombs). It doesn't completely fall apart on the palate, but it tastes like it's past its peak. It doesn't have staying power, and the finish in particular is disappointingly brief. Smooth and delicious, but not a transcendent limited edition whiskey experience.