Barrell Bourbon - Batch #011

Barrell Bourbon
Cask Strength Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Batch 011
"6 yrs age"
57.4% ABV (114.8 proof)


According to Barrell's website, Batch #011 was distilled and aged in Tennessee using a 70/25/5 corn/rye/malted barley mashbill. I'm not sure about the MSRP in this case, but likely $70+.

Color; medium brown, orange tint

Smell: restrained, given its outsize proof. I get a big sweetened corn note and some underlying red fruit sweetness. As it opens up, much more wood comes into play.

Taste: mild corn sweetness on entry, with just a hint of red fruit tartness. Things get hot and woody pretty quickly on the midpalate and into the finish. There aren't many secondary or tertiary flavors here: it's very much "grain, then wood" - to me it tastes like a very young whiskey.

Overall: I have loved previous Barrell bottlings, but this one is not doing it for me. It drinks hot, young, and woody - almost like a craft whiskey that is aged in smaller casks  or with oak chips in order to bring it to market as quickly as possible. C/C+ for me, and not recommended.