Forty Creek Premium Barrel Select Whisky

Forty Creek
Premium Barrel Select Whisky
"Canadian Whisky Canadien"
40% ABV (80 proof)
paid $18

Color: medium orange-brown

Smell: very pleasantly surprised here. Nice rounded sweetness with an oaky influence as well. I get the same burned marshmallow note here that I find in a lot of Canadian whiskies (Wiser's 18 and Crown Royal both come to mind).

Taste: soft and smooth, though a bit weird-tasting. It gets very oaky and almost latexy on the palate. It doesn't burn going down or make you pucker, but there's not a whole lot to enjoy.

Overall: it's a decent cheap whisky. I think Crown Royal is a bit smoother and more enjoyable, but this is fine for cocktails and even decent for sipping. Their description (back label) reads: "features aromas of honey, vanilla and apricot fused with toasty oak, black walnut and spice.." Of these, I'd say toasty oak and spice are there. Which spice, however, I couldn't tell you. Strange experience, not necessarily recommended, but interesting. C/C+ for me.