Glenlivet Nadurra 16 Year Cask Strength

The Glenlivet
Nadurra
Non Chill-Filtered
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Aged 16 Years
Natural Cask Strength
55.3% ABV (110.6 proof)
Batch 0114A, Bottled 01/14
~$85

There is so much information on the bottle! But the gist is: 16 year old cask-strength Glenlivet. I was not a huge fan of the peated cask finished Nadurra, so let's see if this is better.

Color: bright gold, bordering on light brown.

Smell: oh, this is lovely. Great mix of vanilla sweetness and overripe peaches and pears, with some coconut for good measure. I also get a hint of almonds. This is ludicrously approachable on the nose considering the proof, and there are no overdone barrel aromas.

Taste: very nice, but a slight come down from the nose. Big dose of vanilla sweetness to start things off, along with caramels. The midpalate brings in some hefty nuttiness (almonds) as well as toasty oak, raisins, and some orange peel. The finish is long, a little astringent, and (like the peated cask finish) reminds me of a concentrated oaky Chardonnay. I'm not sure if it's the nuttiness or the wood throwing things off, but to me it finishes like a weird mixture of wine and bourbon. With that said, it's very light and smooth throughout - no need for water.

Overall: I like it, but don't love it...for me, it's a "B." On its face, cask-strength 16 year old single malt Scotch for $80 seems pretty reasonable, but I'd hesitate to pick up a bottle. It might just be my palate, but I can't get past the oddball finish. Other folks definitely love this expression, so if you gravitate toward Glenlivet it may be worth a bar pour before you buy a bottle.