Glenfarclas 17

Glenfarclas
HIghland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Aged 17 Years
43% ABV (86 proof)
~$100 (sample provided)

Color: Straw gold - if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, it looks a little lighter in color than the 12 year expression.

Smell: very desserty and delicious-smelling. Big, sultry almond pastry and rum raisin ice cream aromas come through for me, as well as something slightly citrusy like orange zest. That said, very approachable and not overbearingly sweet. There is also a kick of licorice in there.

Taste: honeyed raisin sweetness upfront before the nuttiness kicks in on the midpalate. There is definitely some toasty wood influence that builds along with it, drying out your cheeks and adding something akin to a mild cigar aftertaste (for me, this is a pleasant component) on the finish. It's not as big of a wood punch as bourbon, but it's definitely the main note of the finish.

Overall: this is pretty solid, though I slightly prefer the 12 year expression. "B/B+" for me. The lovely nose promises sweetness. While this sweetness is the first taste on the palate, it quickly gets dry, woody, and nutty. Nothing objectionable, but not as harmonious as I had hoped. Would be a very interesting whisky for a cigar pairing.