Lot 40 Rye 2012 Release

Lot No. 40
Single Copper Pot Still
Canadian Rye Whisky
2012 Release
43% ABV (86 proof)
paid $42

I had originally picked up a bottle of this last fall/winter and included it in one of my earliest reviews, during my "execution video" whiskey photography phase (see here). I thought it would be interesting to review this again after being lucky enough to taste a ton of whiskies between then and now. Shockingly, I talked to a guy at Virginia ABC who said they have cases of this available at their warehouse and on the cheap, no less (thanks, crumbling exchange rate!).

Color: light/medium brown with a slight yellow tint.

Smell: this is a stunning and yet restrained rye nose. Dill and mint stacked high on top of a base of malty pumpernickel bread. Also accented with a touch of toasty wood influence. As it sits, the sweet mint builds and I get some caramel as well.

Taste: initial sip was marked by some mild herbal sweetness and then a rush of cracked rye spiciness and oak on the midpalate and finish. As I spend time with it, the oak and spice smooths out and the finish features more leather and dill.

Overall: this is a hands-down winner of a rye, easy A-/A for me and a great value. Highly recommended. For whatever reason, this doesn't (yet) seem to be a cult whisky, so I'd grab a bottle if/while you can find it.