George Dickel No. 1

George Dickel
No. 1 White Corn Whisky
"Mellow as Moonlight"
45.5% ABV (91 proof)
~$20 (sample provided)

Color: clear as water

Smell: to me, it smells like a very pleasant solvent. I know that sounds kind of strange, but it reminded me a little bit of sweet paint fumes along with rubber balloons. And of course some corn notes - unflavored popcorn.

Taste: pure sweetness upfront - really soft entry. No real taste to go along with it...it just sets off the sweet receptors. Sloshing it around doesn't add anything in terms of flavor, and its short finish is mellow with the unflavored popcorn note lingering for a few seconds.

Overall: this is everything I wish vodka would be. There's nothing much to analyze here: it's soft, pure, and mellow. There's a hint of sweetness throughout, but no depth of flavors aside from a pleasant wisp of unflavored, unbuttered, unsalted popcorn on the nose and the finish. I recommend it for what it is, and I think it would be very interesting to use in place of vodka in cocktails, as its hint of sweetness contrasts with most vodkas' bracing astringency.