Crown Royal Black


Crown Royal Black
"Robust, Full-Bodied"
Blended Canadian Whisky
45% ABV (90 proof)
~$30 (sample provided)

Color: medium/dark brown. Darker than most highly aged bourbons, so I'm guessing there might be some artificial coloring.

Smell: not a ton coming through on the nose for me. I get a little bit of vanilla sweetness, some alcohol heat, and a little oakiness.

Taste: caramel/nougat sweetness upfront that quickly transitions to and is overwhelmed by strange barrel-influenced flavors on the mid-palate and finish. Instead of baking spices or cinnamon candy, I get tannins and astringency in various "off" notes. Going down it's actually a little bitter - green apples and sweet n' low came to mind. However, the finish brings back an artificial sweetness that lingers...strangely.

Overall: it's not horrible, but it's a bit of a hot mess. To me, there isn't a harmonious balance between sweetness and barrel influence and there are too many disjointed off notes to savor properly. Fine for mixing, but I don't think is smooth enough to merit a sipping session. C+/B- range.