Kilbeggan

Kilbeggan
Traditional Irish Whiskey
40% ABV (80 proof)
approx. $16 for 750 ml (sample provided)

Color: pale straw gold

Smell: not overpowering. When I really stuck my nose in and breathed deep, I got some alcohol fumes, but otherwise it's a very mild and subdued bouquet. The dominant note is honey, but it's complemented by a slight malty breadiness.

Taste: faint honey sweetness upfront, and then the malty breadiness again. Finish is short but introduces a really weird aftertaste that has an element of funk - can't quite put my finger on it, but it's almost like a sour beer or moldy bread note. Despite the low ABV, it's also a bit hot on the palate.

Overall: it's fine, but I'm not crazy about it. It's a value whiskey to be sure, and it tastes like it. Fine for mixing, probably okay for rocks, and you can buy a lot of it for very little coin. If that's what you're looking for, give it a go, but I wouldn't recommend it for sipping whiskey enjoyment.