Quick thoughts from a night at Jack Rose in DC

You have to get yourself to this place if you're ever anywhere near Washington, DC. I went out with my wife, sister-in-law, and her boyfriend last night for dinner and drinks. I was able to enjoy Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 Year Bourbon as well as the 2014 BTAC Sazerac. Wife had the standard Elmer T. Lee, which is just dynamite stuff. Sister-in-law and her boyfriend are both huge scotch-heads; they got Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Aberlour A'bunadh, Bruichladdich Rocks, and a super-sweet 15 year old sherry casked scotch whose name escapes me. All great, unique stuff. Super grateful to live so close to such a mecca for whiskey!

John Hansell at Whiskey Advocate rates the Sazerac 95/100, and I agree wholly with his assessment in terms of flavor, particularly the unique clove/allspice components:

  • A benchmark aged rye whiskey, and it’s similar in profile to recent releases . Vibrant for its age. Complex too, brimming with allspice, clove, mint, and cinnamon. The spice notes are balanced by soft vanilla, soothing caramel, and candied summer fruits. Impeccably balanced, and a pure joy to drink!
Bill at Modern Thirst gave this Old Scout edition an 89/100, and I have to agree that it's good but not great. I just jumped on the opportunity to try it because I haven't seen it available in many places:

  • This is a very easy drinking, pleasant sipping bourbon. It has a lot in common with the 7 year offering, despite the difference in mash bill and age, but feels like a more refined, less citrusy version of the same expression. I like it. If there was any complaint here, it’s that this bourbon doesn’t’ really show its age the way I would have expected a 10 year old whiskey to do.  There are some oak hints and some tannins, but by and large, the experience is sweet and creamy bourbon, not really heavy vanilla, caramel, and oak. But that might be due to lower char levels (most distillers us e a #3 or #4 char, and I’m not currently aware of what level MGP uses or from whom they source their barrels).