Michter's US*1 Bourbon

Michter's

Small Batch US*1 Bourbon Whiskey
45.7% ABV
$40-$50
Batch 14F313

Color:
Gold/orange.

Smell:
Kind of strange smells for a bourbon. I pick up lemon/orange citrus notes and a dry oakiness. Not as sweet-smelling (vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, etc.) as other bourbons I've had, and also not a ton of corn coming through for me. To be clear, it smells really good, just different from what I expected and from what I'm used to in a bourbon.

Taste:
Nice initial rush of corn sweetness - good to find that it's bourbon, after all! No harsh burn, very soft and easy to hold neat in the mouth, with a dusty oakiness taking over on the back of the palate.

Finish:
Smooth going down. This isn't the most complex whiskey of all time, but the dry oak spiciness lingers in the throat after swallowing. I also get sort of a mild lemony/herbal aftertaste that reminds me more than anything else of Sleepytime tea.

Overall:
I really like this whiskey, and would definitely recommend it for sipping. Considering that it will likely run you $40-$50, I think there are certainly better value buys in bourbon, particularly if you're looking for more of a classic flavor profile. That said, very interesting and worth tasting if you get the chance. I'm also interested to try the other US*1 offerings, as well as the mythical 10 year (leaving aside the stratospheric and impossible to find older Michter's offerings).

What others have said (note that this whiskey varies batch to batch):
Christopher Null at Drinkhacker loved it, giving it an "A" and noting that it is bold and aggressive with a seductive finish. He found butterscotch, over-ripe banana, creme brulee, and cinnamon. apple pie notes, dried figs, and red hot candies.

My experience was much closer to Bill's at Modern Thirst. He scored it 87/100 and noted that it was smooth and more subtle in flavor.

Other interesting takes on BourbonEnthusiast, with references to the sweet corn rush of the taste to the smoothness of the finish.